Friday, February 20, 2015

Colleges

So I've started to hear back from a couple of schools. All the CUNY schools have been sending me stuff, but i don't know if i got into Macaulay Honors until March. New Paltz got back to me today, and I was thinking about my future a bit more. The reason why I applied to New Paltz and Macaulay Honors was because I was scared that maybe I didn't want to study what I had originally planned to in the beginning of the year, industrial design. The thing is, i still do, but I also have found a passion for so many other things. What I am scared of now is being limited because I am in a specialized program. At an art school, most of my curriculum is already pre-decided, and I don't know if I like that. There are still so many things I want to learn, and I am actually starting to consider going to New Paltz because I wouldn't have to be declared until a while into my college career. I could take the computer science classes I've been dying to, I could finally get the start on German I need and I could continue getting fluent in French. I could take art classes too, and feel more in control of what my future might be.
It's hard because I didn't think that I'd ever get to this point. I hadn't even considered that the feeling to not go to art school would be as strong as it is. I want to spend a year drawing and designing, but not if that means spending a year not being allowed to study everything else I want to learn. Going into art school would narrow my options, but not going wouldn't allow me those options that I also want. I can't get a linguistics degree from Pratt just as I can't get an industrial design degree from New Paltz. Also, economically, going to art school is statistically not as wise of an investment. It costs more and the jobs you get after aren't any better. Economics and finance have become a huge part of my life, and I have even thought about minoring in it if I had the option.
Also, I've been thinking about the people I will meet. Artists are interesting and fun people, but they offer a narrow perspective on many things. I love linguists because their lives are focused on learning the perspective of other's through their language. Computer Science guys also have a totally different view on the world than artists. I don't want where I go to school to limit the types of people I will interact with. I want to have it all, and that's not always possible. I have a decision to make, and I don't have to make it now, but I will soon, and I need to think about it more.
Also, a side note, the reason I haven't been blogging much in the past couple months is because I started journaling. I found that it's a much better place to organize my thoughts because I don't have any filters. I can write whatever I want and on a blog I can't because it is public. I think everyone should keep a personal journal. All of the issues I'm going through are recorded and I can look back and think about what I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment