Friday, May 3, 2013

I Don't Sleep Like A Normal Person.

I don't sleep like a normal person would. I think that my method is better. I procrastinate and I'm not going to pretend that I don't because the sooner I can accept that I do, the sooner I could fix it. I go to sleep at seven or eight or nine every night depending on the amount of homework that I have that night. So if I had a lot of work I'd go to sleep at seven, and if I had less then I'd go to sleep at eight and if i had even less then I'd sleep at nine. Then every morning I wake up at three. And depending on what time I had gone to sleep the night before, I would either stay in bed and go back to sleep, or I'd do my homework. Like I said before, I procrastinate, but I have created a method where I can do it more responsibly. I make sure that I have enough time to finish the work that I'd have to do, and that way I don't fail school.
I put a lot of effort while I'm in class. During school I actually am almost always focused. People don't realize this, but if while you're in class you are focusing, then you don't have to study enough. So many kids complain about how they have to study so much, but if you understand the information as the teacher is teaching it, then you don't have to spend hours trying to teach it to yourself. I'm mainly thinking about my chemistry class. It is extremely easy to lose focus while Mr. Arralde is talking. The guy isn't the most interesting fellow in the world, and what he is saying is normally very confusing, so most kids would just take the notes and not be trying to understand what he is saying. I never did this because I never knew that you were allowed to. I thought that as a student, your job was to pay attention, and so I always did that. Kids in my chemistry class are constantly texting while Mr. Arralde is talking and they aren't focused at all, and then they would complain when they get a bad grade. I don't have to study much to get the grade that I want in that class, even though it is very hard, because I can retain most of what my teacher would teach. Last year I had an issue in my social studies class because my class last year was one that was heavily based on the work that you did outside of class. My teacher would assign textbook reading and then sometimes in class she'd never finish explaining what we had read. I can't learn very well that way, and so I didn't get the normal A+ that I'd get in social studies. I still really liked my teacher last year though. She is a really cool lady and I would love to discuss politics with her sometime. This year my social studies teacher isn't liked by much of our class, but that is because she doesn't give notes on everything like we are so used to, but she talks a lot about the information. She likes to lecture and I like listening. So I remember most of what she says. And other people could too if they actually paid attention like I do. Even in classes that are boring to me, I'd still pay attention, and I never put much effort into my notes, because I know that if I can understand the information as my teacher is talking, then I wouldn't need them later. The point of notes should be to remind yourself what you had been learning about, not to teach yourself the lesson again. A teacher's job is to teach you, but if you aren't paying attention, then it is your own fault. I don't talk much in class, but that doesn't mean that I'm not focused. My social studies teacher this year doesn't really know me and that saddens  me because I want her to. I have had a close connection to every social studies teacher that I've ever had. I remember eighth grade I had Mr. Nahoum. He was an incredible teacher. Mr. Nahoum put extra effort into teaching. He had this thing that he made up called Nahoum's American Legends. He made movies and every topic he'd have a new movie that would star his buddies and they would act out the stories we'd learn about. Mr. Nahoum was laid off because of the budget cuts. Our schooling system is screwed up, and I first realized this after I heard he would get laid off. He was one of the greatest teachers I've ever had, and ask anyone one else in his classes, and you will probably get a similar reaction. He was a weird guy, but after spending a year with him you learn to love him. My grade was the only grade that got to experience the awesomeness that is Mr. Nahoum in Herricks and that isn't fair. What is even more unfair is that Mr. Nahoum might be jumping around from school to school because of the current system. I saw the movie called "Waiting for Superman". I was a great documentary that explains why the education systems are failing. There are a number of problems, and basically everyone is to blame. First is the teachers union. I am liberal, so I am supposed to be in favour of things like unions because they protect workers rights, but the teachers union has come to the point where they are taking advantage of their power. You can't really fire a teacher if they have tenure so bad teachers are kept in the system, and if you try to then the union will get mad. People forget that the focus should be on students, not on anyone else. When I criticize the schooling system to my father he gets defensive because he is a teacher and the things I say would threaten his job. If a teacher like Mr. Nahoum is constantly getting laid off because the system won't let anyone else get laid off because the older teachers have tenure, then the students are suffering because you are denying them the right to a better education. At the same time you can't have teacher grading in the way that currently have now because then you put good teachers at risk of getting fired.
I want to write blog posts like this more often. I've done it for the past four days now, but I don't want to start to say that this would become a 365 because then I'd probably stop just because I wouldn't be able to commit and then I'd end up hating it. I have a lot of thoughts about a lot of things, and I never really tell many people, and having them recorded on the internet makes me feel better about myself. I could go on for hours about everything I have an opinion on, and still have more to talk about. I started this blog post at 4:50 in the morning and it is now 5:50. I have been writing for an hour, and I could still keep going. I don't really care if anyone reads my blog, I'm doing this more for myself, and that is all that should matter. I'm not making art as I'm writing, but I am recording my mind, and my mind is something that is artistic.
Today we have a field trip. I'm excited. I read some reviews on the show we're seeing, "Old Hats". It seems like a pretty cool show. My sister has a show today, and my mom is going. Her show is in Boston. Freshman aren't allowed to be in the shows, but she isn't in a normal show, she is part of this senior's final piece. His thing is lighting and other tech stuff, so he got a bunch of people to put on a show so that he could light it. Then he presents that to his teachers and that is his final. I was supposed to go, but then I begged my mother to let me stay home and go to the trip. I don't like going to Boston, I've seen it enough at this point. It is a pretty city, and I feel awfully bad about the bombings, but it gets pretty boring. And I don't like that it isn't as diverse as NYC. Boston isn't racist at all, but like in Queens, I go to my grandma's apartment, and in that area, everyone speaks Spanish, and you go a couple blocks down the you'd see a bunch of other races of people. I was drinking coffee in a shop with my grandma a couple of Buddhist monks where just casually walking around. You don't really see that in Boston, and that is what upsets me. All the cultures of the world are within a few blocks in NYC and that is something amazing to me. It is an American city, but it isn't at the same time. It was founded by the Dutch, and has always stood out as an individual. I like living around a city that is so influential in the world. It isn't the biggest, it doesn't have the tallest buildings, but it is still one of the greatest cities in the world. Boston isn't on that list. I think I'll end here because I have to get ready for school. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely see what you're saying about the kids paying attention in class. So often people ask me questions about things that are explained, and they seem dumbfounded by my answers because they never remember the teacher saying that. I was talking to a fellow AP Human Geography student about a test. She was manically studying all of the material until I told her that the test didn't actually ask any questions, it only required us to write paragraphs. I didn't realize that I was the only one who understood that.

    To a certain degree, I think that laziness plays a role in why students pay attention in class. Additionally though, and especially in Herricks, the wrong morals are emphasized. Grades are given the upmost importance instead of the experience of learning. If a student's main goal is acing a test, technically they do not have to pay attention in class, as long as they can learn the material on their own. This is flawed logic because it ignores the factor of education as an all encompassing experience, but most students aren't able to realize that. Also, many students load themselves up with too many classes, and that doesn't give them the freedom to experience learning at a comfortable pace, even if they would want to. This year I'm only taking four academic classes and I've been learning much more than other years. I also happen to be getting the best grades of my high school career. I suppose that's a positive side effect.

    I feel like though, even though good education is available, few are able to access it because few have the maturity needed to take advantage of it. They simply do not understand the value of learning. On the other hand, if we were in an inferior school, many kids would have absolutely no motivation to work. At least in our school, kids are encouraged to achieve highly, and that helps people work harder who wouldn't otherwise. Perhaps they may actually learn along the way!

    It's just a general fact of life that some people are smart and many are not.

    Mr. Nahoum seems like a great teacher, and it saddens me to see that he had to be dismissed.

    ReplyDelete